English Language Learner (ELL) Program
We are a high quality teaching and learning organization dedicated to preparing all students to graduate with a sound educational foundation, ready to succeed in post-secondary education, and to be contributing community members.
Goals for English Language Learner Program
- Identify students that are Limited English Proficient (LEP) and determine their English proficiency level. Annually assess student progress in English language development.
- Provide English Language Learners (ELL) with specific focused instruction in English Language Development (ELD) to ensure that ELL's demonstrate mastery in English in listening, speaking, reading, and writing. LEP students are expected to progress through the levels of English proficiency as described by ODE. Guidelines for the district ELD program are to:
- Teach English with a focus on listening, speaking, reading and writing
- Group students by proficiency level (up to two levels may be combined)
- Follow a scope and sequence of language forms and functions
- Provide sheltered instruction to ensure that students can participate meaningfully in mainstream classroom and make progress toward state standards. LEP students are expected to meet the same AYP targets as those set by the state for all students.
- Assist ELL's in the acculturation process
- Provide opportunities for parent involvement and increase participation in school events
- Anticipate and respond appropriately to changing demographics
The district uses a variety of research-based approaches for educating its ELL population, depending upon both the age of the students and the level of English proficiency. For English Language Development (ELD) instruction, the district uses ELD Pullout (elementary) and ELD Class Period (secondary). For content instruction, the district uses Sheltered Instruction through SIOP (elementary) and CM (secondary). These approaches all have a strong research base and fall under the descriptors provided by Oregon Department of Education.
ELL Staff by School
Medford School District Title III Improvement Plan English Spanish
Medford School District ELL Plan English Spanish
ELL Bilingual Staff